Friday, April 15, 2011

Her Harlem Throwback

I got my papers to-day yall!
I was official, I was done
No mo' learning in crowded classrooms,
Or thinkin idle thoughts in the sun

I was movin on to better things
Nicer places and cleaner people
Never again to worry 'bout you ignant folk
Killin', stealin' and actin plain frivol

Yeah, I'm off to a place
Where only the most talented be
Ya know, the ones that run this country
And give opportunities to you and me

Momma seemed happy for me
Cause she gets paid cheap, ya know
Daddy's kindah upset
And said he won't love me no mo'

He thinks I turned my back
On the folk that brought me here
But that ain't no fact
I'll always be somewhat near

I read the Post today
To see the headlines
"Another (censored) lynched
Due to an Increase in Hate Crimes"

I got some books to help me
Cause I was gettin scared
I thought those people were good
Until their necks began turning red

Mr. Woodson schooled me
To never believe what's written in print
And Mr. DuBois recruited me
To participate in the "Talented Tenth"
Mr. Hughes wants me to speak
On some type of long stream
While Mr. McKay prepared me
To fight against this evil regime

"They" want me to be quiet
And just gon' sit in the back
But Daddy raised me dif'rent
I don't do none of that

So, I'm sorry for what I said earlier
"They" confused my "wrong" and "right"
Brothers & sisters, I love you all
And I'm gotta help us all unite!

No comments: